After nearly two decades in the corporate world of strategic branding and marketing, Kirsty Verity found herself without a job and one year’s salary to keep her afloat.
So like any burgeoning entrepreneur would do, she set out on a path to figuring out how to start a business — a business that would enable her to travel, work from anywhere, and become location independent.
After several failed ideas, she discovered Amazon’s fulfillment program — FBA. As soon as she found this, she instantly knew it was the opportunity she had been looking for.
Seven years, and over $16M in physical product sales on Amazon, Kirsty is also the co-founder of Real Coaching, where she has coached over 1,000 Amazon business owners.
Now, let’s hack…
Highlights from the episode
- [5:00]: Kirsty explains how focus has been the biggest key to her success. Lack of focus makes her feel overwhelmed, so she tries to focus on the number one thing that is going to bring fiscal results at any given time. Part of her reason for becoming an entrepreneur was so that she could manage her time on her own terms.
- [12:50]: Kirsty discusses branding on Amazon. It’s important for the product’s branding to connect with the customer. Another important focus is the bullet points with the product’s features and benefits. She focuses on an “ideal customer,” and directs the imaging and copy directly toward that person.
- [23:00]: Kirsty discusses selling internationally on Amazon. When she started, she was living in a place without an Amazon presence, so she sold overseas instead, starting with the US and then moving to the UK and EU. Amazon FBA vendors don’t need to be limited by their own location, as long as they understand the rules and laws for selling in other countries. This helped her business grow more quickly.
Resources and links from the interview
- Kirsty Verity on Instagram
- Kirsty Verity on Facebook
- The Amazing Selling Machine
- LinkedIn: Get $100 FREE advertising with LinkedIn Marketing Solutions. Go to https://linkedin.com/hack.
- Freshbooks: Get a free 30-day trial of FreshBooks right now, no credit card required. Go to Freshbooks.com/HACK and enter HACK THE ENTREPRENEUR in the how did you hear about us section.