Think what you want about motivational quotes, but sometimes, a few simple words hit hard.
The right words at the right time can change your mindset and become a catalyst for change in your life.
But here’s the thing:
The best hustle quotes and motivation quotes aren’t always from self-help gurus and motivational speakers – artists, athletes, and even rock ‘n’ rollers often say exactly what we need to hear.
Here is the quote that did it for me:”On the day I die, I'll say at least I fucking tried. That's the only eulogy I need.' - Frank Turner, EulogyClick To Tweet
My life is now dictated by this sentiment. I refuse to not take action – on my passions, online business ideas, and everything I want out of life.
Do I succeed 100 percent of the time? Nope, not even close.
In fact, doing some quick math – and switching to a basketball analogy – I sink about two out of every ten shots I take. But, you know what?
I take shots every day. Every. Day.
I refuse to not try. I refuse to not fail. I refuse to sit on the sidelines.
This is who I have become. And this is how I play the game. Life is short, so you might as well play as hard as you can.
It can look easy from the outside, but I haven’t always been like this. I spent years spinning my wheels and getting no traction. For a long time, I failed to make the changes that would allow me and my family to live a better life.
But no more.
Perhaps it’s age or perhaps it’s that I’ve learned to stop caring if something will work or not.
Do you know what absolutely will not work?
All the stuff you are too scared to try.
If you are looking for a change in your life, these 101 motivation quotes are for YOU.
1. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
Jack Reacher has the best one-liners. This quote is a reminder that plans aren’t always enough. You also have to be able to take a hit and get back up.'Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.' – Jack ReacherClick To Tweet
2. No one gets remembered for the things they didn’t do.
Quit talking and start taking action. Frank Turner basically lives by this creed, as a relentlessly touring musician and songwriter. He even finds time to write books!
3. No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time. All you got is life time. Go.
Henry Rollins doesn’t believe in spare time — every second life is passing by. It’s up to you to make the most of it.
4. No one is you, and that is your power.
Dave Grohl, professional rocker, wants you to embrace individuality. Whatever kind of weird you are, stop hiding it and use it as a superpower.
5. Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed no hope at all.
This mindset quote from Dale Carnegie is a light in the tunnel. When it feels like it can’t get any harder, you just might be about to achieve something great. Don’t give up.
6. Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
We should listen to Samuel Johnson on the subject of perseverance. After all, he did single-handedly write A Dictionary of the English Language — before the existence of typewriters.
7. Don’t give up what you want most for what you want now.
In other words, keep your eyes on the prize. Short-term thinking can keep you from achieving big goals.
8. It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Every journey must be taken one step at a time. It’s amazing how much progress you can make when you keep taking those steps. Use this goal setting worksheet to break down a big goal into tiny steps.
9. You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
Perseverance and grit — these are qualities Margaret Thatcher had in spades. Failing on your first try is no reason to quit.
10. Dreams don’t work unless you do.
Positive thinking won’t get you far without positive action. Leadership expert John C. Maxwell is right — you have to put in the work.
11. Don’t play the game. Be the game changer.
12. Success is not given. It is earned.
13. Take a moment and realize how blessed you are.
14. A positive mindset is one of the attributes of successful people.
Focus on what’s possible, what’s good, and what you can do. Author Sandra León writes that a positive mindset for entrepreneurs and leaders is the way to live an abundant life.
15. If you live for the weekends and vacations, your shit is broken.
Gary Vaynerchuk says your work should not be something to escape. If you’re not excited to go to work, it’s time to make a change. Whether you start a side hustle or explore a new career, do something that excites you.
16. Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It’s quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure.
This is one of the best growth mindset quotes because nobody wants to fail, but it’s necessary for success. Fail more, learn more, and do better next time.
17. It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Like so many mindset quotes, this one reminds you to keep trying, despite the risk of failure.
18. Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Scientists like Albert Einstein understand making mistakes isn’t something to fear — it’s fundamental to making progress.
19. Challenges are what make life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
What makes a meaningful life? Only you can decide. But for most, it requires occasionally getting uncomfortable and facing challenges.
20. Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, what do I want to do every day for the rest of my life…do that.
If your work makes it hard to look yourself in the mirror, why not start something new? Gary Vee writes about why now, more than ever, it’s possible to make a living with your passion.
You can learn how to start a blog, build an audience, and create a business around just about anything.
21. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
George Bernard Shaw embodied the growth mindset and has left us with many motivational words. If you believe growth and change are possible, you have the power to reinvent yourself.
22. Anyone can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend’s success.
Oscar Wilde reminds us to support our friends, whether they’re winning or losing. Rising above jealousy is part of developing a positive mindset.
23. Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Learning throughout your life helps you succeed in business. But it also maintains the energy, curiosity, and excitement of youth.
24. When you want to succeed as badly as you want to breathe. Then you will be successful.
Eric Thomas is a master of motivational quotes — with enough passion and desire, you can achieve anything.
25. Most people never run far enough on the first wind to find out they’ve got a second. Give your dreams all you’ve got, and you’ll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you.
Philosopher William James is a surprisingly good source of hustle quotes. When you start to feel tired, you’re just getting warmed up!
26. Don’t tell me how talented you are. Tell me how hard you work.
As a musical prodigy, Artur Rubenstein had a huge supply of talent. But he knew talent can only take you so far — hard work is the key.
27. Don’t be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment.
If you do one thing to change your mindset, get comfortable taking risks. There’s not much to be gained by holding back.
28. What got you here, won’t get you where you want to be.
This is one of my favorite motivational quotes, and it comes from Marshall Goldsmith.
Continued success requires continued growth. That means even as you enjoy your achievements, you should look for new ways to move forward. This is also how to be an entrepreneur.
29. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
By constantly learning and improving, you can enjoy the present without the risk of being unprepared for the future.
30. The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.
Most of us will never be martial arts masters like Bruce Lee, but this motivational quote provides hope. Average people can do extraordinary things when they focus and do the work.
31. When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.
The trick to achieving any big goal is to break down the steps and adjust course as needed. Whether you want to make money online or build a house, the right action steps will get you there.
32. The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.
Don’t waste your life waiting for permission, especially if you have visionary ideas like novelist and philosopher Ayn Rand.
33. It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.
A playful approach to tackling impossible challenges is fun, and as Walt Disney proved, you can build an entertainment empire with it.
34. The best revenge is massive success.
Of course, there are lots of ways to get revenge, but most of them leave you worse off than before. Instead of letting negativity win, Frank Sinatra focussed on achieving massive success.
35. Great things never came from comfort zones.
Neil Strauss is a writer who knows you have to get uncomfortable to uncover great stories and accomplish anything remarkable.
36. To die is poignantly bitter, but the idea of having to die without having lived is unbearable.
Death is inevitable, but living a fully realized life can ease the bitterness.
37. Man’s main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is.
Another of the brilliant motivational quotes from psychoanalyst Erich Fromm, reminding you to never give up discovering and becoming who you are meant to be.
38. Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
Being decisive is a key characteristic for entrepreneurs, and anyone who wants to accomplish big things. Decide, then take decisive action.
39. Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.
Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill, is one of the top 10 best-selling self-help books of all time. I consider it one of the best business books you can read to shift your mindset in a positive direction.
40. How you think when you lose determines how long it will be until you win.
The prolific G. K. Chesterton said losing is inevitable, but you can change how you think about it. The more quickly you bounce back and try again, the more successful you will ultimately become.
41. You can achieve anything you want in life if you have the courage to dream it, the intelligence to make a realistic plan, and the will to see that plan through to the end.
Sometimes lucky breaks help you get there faster, but achieving big goals is almost always a result of courage, planning, and determination.
42. Security is not the meaning of my life. Great opportunities are worth the risk.
As a powerful member of the judiciary at a time when women were almost non-existent in the profession, Shirley Hufstedler took risks that paved the way for many to follow.
43. The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make a mistake.
This is such a great mindset hack — recognizing that failing to act is often worse than taking the wrong action.
44. Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could … Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
It’s so easy to get caught up in regrets and “old nonsense.” Instead, treat each day as a fresh slate and a new opportunity to find happiness.
45. Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Failure is such a major theme in mindset quotes because it has the power to torpedo ambitions or fuel success, depending almost entirely on how you look at it.
46. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the ones you did.
Avoid regrets by doing those things you dream about. Sure, things won’t always work out how you planned, but at least you’ll have tried!
47. The problem human beings face is not that we aim too high and fail, but that we aim too low and succeed.
Michelangelo set his sights higher than any artist of his time, and his legacy is a testament to the power of imagination. Whatever you set out to create, reach beyond mediocrity.
48. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.
Another characteristic of a successful mindset is brutal honesty — especially when it comes to yourself. Knowing your flaws means you can work on improving them.
49. What man actually needs is not a tensionless state but rather the striving and struggling for a worthwhile goal, a freely chosen task.
Despite struggling more than most will ever have to, Viktor E. Frankl maintained his faith in humanity. He wrote that meaning is not found in complacency and comfort.
50. Whenever an individual or business decides that success has been attained, progress stops.
Entrepreneurs like Thomas J. Watson don’t stop to congratulate themselves for too long. They set the next goal and get back to work.
51. Improve by 1% a day, and in just 70 days, you’re twice as good.
Incremental changes add up to massive transformations – those are some motivational words. This quote is motivating on those days when you only have a tiny amount of effort to give.
52. We find comfort among those who agree with us and growth among those who don’t.
Seek out those who have different opinions, knowledge, and experience than you. There’s no growth to be found in an echo chamber.
53. The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it’s the same problem you had last year.
Thanks to John Foster Dulles, you can be sure tough problems don’t disappear when you are successful. As you move forward, you will face new problems with more knowledge and experience.
54. No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.
This mindset quote is so important in this time of continual distraction. It’s up to you to set aside the time for sustained thinking and creativity.
55. Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible.
The artists, visionaries, and entrepreneurs in the world have a mindset of possibility — that’s what enables them to do what’s never been done before.
56. Luck is when an opportunity comes along and you’re prepared for it.
Luck is not a mysterious force that appears randomly. You can make your own luck by doing the work to prepare yourself for opportunities.
57. The cost of being wrong is less than the cost of doing nothing.
Motivational quotes like this one from Seth Godin are constantly telling you that to risk being wrong in order to accomplish anything.
58. Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.
The world needs your outrageous ideas, crazy dreams, and unrealistic hope. If you believe it’s possible and you want it bad enough, make it happen.
59. We must get our hearts broken sometimes. This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.
Always risk breaking your heart, because what you gain is priceless. Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic is an inspiring book about creativity, that I recommend for anyone who is afraid to create — whether it’s a novel, a business, or a whole new life.
60. A man who has committed a mistake and doesn’t correct it is committing another mistake.
The mindset quotes that speak to us about making mistakes are priceless. When you make a mistake, it’s only a failure if you don’t learn something.
61. The only true failure lies in the failure to start.
Being frozen at the start line is a familiar anxiety to many. With a mindset that embraces making mistakes, we can confidently take that first step and let go of the outcome.
62. Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must also step up the stairs.
Vaclav Havel had a vision, but it only resulted in positive change because he took the necessary steps — despite great personal risk — to make it a reality.
63. By amending our mistakes, we get wisdom. By defending our faults, we betray an unsound mind.
Humility is foundational to a productive mindset. And as the philosophy of Hui Neng states in this powerful quote, making mistakes is fine as long as you’re honest about your faults.
64. When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
Influential figures like John Maynard Keynes didn’t accomplish anything by ignoring facts. If everyone could get comfortable saying, “I was wrong. I change my mind,” the world would be a better place.
65. The very best thing you can do for the whole world is to make the most of yourself.
Self-improvement is more than a selfish quest for success and fulfillment. It’s also a way to improve the world around you by contributing your best work.
66. It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
Brilliant scientists like Albert Einstein have a mindset that fosters creative problem-solving. That means spending as much time as it takes to find a solution, and not giving up until you do.
67. Don’t worry about the level of individual prominence you have achieved; worry about the individuals you have helped become better people.
This is an incredible shift in mindset, suggested by an expert in business innovation, Clayton Christensen. Instead of measuring success based on personal accolades, consider how many people you have helped. For example, to sell courses online, think about how you can help your audience.
68. To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
69. Things don’t go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.
Keeping a positive mindset when bad things happen is not easy. This motivational quote from Samuel Johnson helps — getting broken down is part of becoming who you were meant to be.
70. Failure is success if we learn from it.
Turning failure into success is as easy as changing your mindset. When you see them as valuable learning opportunities, failures can’t stop you.
71. A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
Whether you call them haters, naysayers, or simply the status quo, there will always be people trying to keep you from going after your dreams. Enjoy the rush of proving them wrong.
72. History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.
It’s true that the most stunning victories often happen after the hardest struggle. If you get discouraged and give up, there’s zero chance of winning.
73. Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
This motivational mindset quote can get you through those moments when you feel like giving up. It could be your very next attempt that works.
74. It takes 20 years to make an overnight success.
Looking at people who have “made it,” you can’t always see the work they put in behind the scenes. Success is rarely due to a single lucky break — put in the effort, and be ready for opportunities.
75. Unless you’re willing to have a go, fail miserably, and have another go, success won’t happen.
There’s no way to avoid failure, so you had best get comfortable with it. Take a closer look at any successful person and you will see a string of failed attempts in their past.
76. Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.
Are you really living, or just going through the motions?
77. There are three musts that hold us back: I must do well. You must treat me well. And the world must be easy.
These three things get right to the heart of how to think like an entrepreneur. If you can shed these “musts,” you gain resilience, humility, and determination in the face of challenge.
78. It is never too late to be what you might have been.
This quote is an inspiration to stop wishing for a different past. Instead, create a different future.
79. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
This is not like most quotes about motivation — it’s about avoiding pain rather than chasing success. Maya Angelou is giving you a directive to create: write, paint, sing, sculpt, and avoid the pain of staying silent.
80. It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.
At first glance, this quote seems contradictory. How can you become who you already are? The answer is to stop living according to the expectations of others.
81. Knowing what is, and knowing what can be, are not the same thing.
Psychologist and mindfulness researcher Ellen Langer has written much on the subject of possibility. Her research proves that shifting awareness towards possibilities (and away from limitations) is transformative.
82. We should open ourselves to the impossible and embrace a psychology of possibility.
These mindset quotes from Ellen Langer reinforce the idea that changing your thoughts changes your reality. If you blindly accept that something can’t be done, you will never try.
83. Certainty is a cruel mindset. It hardens our minds against possibility.
If you are certain your circumstances can’t change, you will never try to improve them.
84. There is always a step small enough from where we are to get us to where we want to be. If we take that small step, there’s always another we can take, and eventually, a goal thought to be too far to reach becomes achievable.
Don’t worry if it seems too far away right now — it’s not impossible! Use a goal setting worksheet to help you break down your goals into achievable pieces.
85. Failure is not fatal, but failing to change might be.
This growth mindset quote from Coach John Wooden forces you to look at where you refusing to change. You have to change something to avoid making the same mistakes over and over again.
86. Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of being.
These motivational words take a minute to sink in, but don’t they some of take the pressure off? Success isn’t about winning. It comes as a result of always working to improve yourself.
87. There isn’t a person anywhere who isn’t capable of doing more than he thinks he can.
Your thoughts have so much power. Don’t put limitations on yourself before you truly know what’s possible.
88. Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
The science of grit reveals that perseverance and sustained effort are more important than most other factors in achieving a goal. That means not giving up.
89. The best way to treat obstacles is to use them as stepping-stones. Laugh at them, tread on them, and let them lead you to something better.
Enid Blyton talks about treating obstacles with a playful and positive mindset.
90. Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
Roger Crawford had more challenges than most athletes, but that didn’t stop him. He believed challenges would keep coming, and his job was to get past them.
91. The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
To change your mindset away from negativity, focus on looking for the opportunity in any situation.
92. Today I shall behave as if this is the day I will be remembered.
Each day is part of our life story, whether we think about it or not. So why not make each one memorable in some way?
93. We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
Maya Angelou writes about resilience in this inspiring mindset quote. You should never let failures and losses define you, or defeat you. Keep going.
94. Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.
Og Mandino, Greatest Salesman in the World, is all about the hustle quotes. When you’re determined to succeed, you can fail, shake it off, and try again as many times as it takes.
95. What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.
This mindset quote goes beyond the advice to face our fears. Ralph Waldo Emerson digs deeper and tells us to follow our fears. The things we avoid based on fear, are often the most necessary.
96. And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
The beautiful image in this quote from Anais Nin is powerful because it inspires such hope. We don’t have to be stuck forever — there is potential for growth when we are ready.
97. Sometimes you find out what you are supposed to be doing by doing the things you are not supposed to do.
There is wisdom in following curiosity. Instead of following the expectations of others, you can choose to do what excites you. That’s how you can find out who you really are.
98. Being a true badass has no weight or gender requirement — just 100% commitment to greatness.
It’s easy to focus on what other people have — talent, wealth, good genes — and get discouraged. What you can’t always see is the commitment and hard work behind the scenes.
99. You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime.
Eminem is not typically known for his motivational quotes, but this one hits me every time I hear it on the radio.
Life really is just a one-shot deal. Since you can’t do it over, all you have is right now to jump on every opportunity.
100. Create a vision and never let the environment, other people’s beliefs, or the limits of what has been done in the past shape your decisions.
Tony Robbins is not only an expert in motivation — he’s a master of belief. He teaches people to harness the power of thoughts and beliefs to transform their lives.
101. Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
The time is now. Each day you put off taking action on your dreams, you risk losing the chance. Want to start a business? Choose one of these online business models and start today.
Use these motivation quotes for more than just motivation – take action!
As fun as a list of motivational quotes is to read, they are meant to inspire you to take action.
The goals you have for your career, business, and life – none of these can happen without you taking the action necessary to turn them into a reality.
So take just one of these quotes and use it – print it out, get it tattooed on your arm, whatever it takes. But use it to do work that matters to you.
You got this.