Derek Webb is a 20+ year veteran of the music industry. As a musician, he published dozens of albums and sold millions of copies.
In 2006, he decided to move into the business side of the music industry as Co-founder and President of NoiseTrade, a revolutionary tribe-building platform.
NoiseTrade began as a way for my guest to promote his own music. Due to its success, he found himself helping friends and friends-of-friends do the same thing. The demand was so great that he built it into a platform.
NoiseTrade was recently acquired by PledgeMusic in a deal that is set to propel NoiseTrade forward and enable them to help more artists build their tribes.
Now, let’s hack…
In this 1-hour, 4-minute episode Derek Webb and I discuss:
- The importance of failing and using it as a learning tool
- The value of making a great living working with a smaller audience
- How Derek’s move to provide free music informed his transition from musicianship to entrepreneurship
- Leveraging the internet to create free content and make money
- How Derek adapted to the market and built NoiseTrade into the company it is today
The Show Notes
- 1,000 True Fans by Kevin Kelly
- PledgeMusic’s Benji Rogers on HTE
- Derek on Facebook
- Derek on Twitter
- Jon on Twitter
- Show Sponsor: 1,000 Maniacs — Claim Your Free Roadmap Now
- Show Sponsor: ActiveCampaign —Sign up for a free 14-day trial now, no credit card needed! Visit ActiveCampaign.com/hack