Chase Jarvis is one of the most influential photographers of the past decade, is a diehard creative, and an entrepreneur.
Chase has spent over two decades mastering the craft of photography. In 2009, this led him to creating the world’s first photo app called Best Camera, and it went onto becoming Apple’s 2009 App of the Year.
Then in 2010, Chase founded CreativeLive — now the world’s leading platform for creators and entrepreneurs. In the past 9 years, a staggering 10 million students have consumed more than 3 billion minutes of video via CreativeLive’s online platform.
After spending tens of thousands of hours honing his photography skills and years working with 1,000s of creatives via CreativeLive, Chase decided it was time to share his understanding and insights into creativity. This led to him publishing his latest book, Creative Calling now a bestseller and highly recommended for anyone looking step-up their ability to consistently create and build on their ideas.
In this conversation, Chase and Jonny discuss:
- Trusting yourself: As we get older, we tend to give up this natural ability that we all once had. Our goal as creative entrepreneurs, is rediscovering this ability and running with it.
- Starting anywhere: The only lasting mistake that you can make is to not start.
- Creativity: Everything you see around you has been created from an idea and lots of hard work. Your creativity is a muscle that you need to exercise every day.
Now, let’s hack…
Highlights from the interview
- [3:51]: Starting out, Chase quickly learned that there was a lot of value in the ability to trust himself. It’s something that a lot of people struggle with, due to either personal anxiety, or simply the way they’ve been socialized into their culture and been subtly trained to look for answers just about anywhere else.
- [20:00]: Creativity, as a concept, is not limited to the arts. It’s present in everything that people do. Chase explains the role of creativity in all human endeavors, and how the concept shouldn’t be limited to art. Everyone can be, and is, creative.
- [37:32]: The creative spirit is infectious. Being around creative people who love what they do, and have a lot of passion, has a positive effect on those around them.
Resources & links from the episode
Boll and Branch: Get $50 off your first set of sheets. Shipping is always free, you can try them out for 30 nights Risk-Free.
Go to BollandBranch.com, and use promo code HACK.