Barry Turner is a former competitive bodybuilder, but to American Gladiator fans he was known as “Cyclone.” As cool as that is, he's here today because he has built a successful business, sold it, bought back half of it, and sold it again!
Along with his business partner, he helped create the baked nutrition category back in 1993. While eating after a workout, they asked, “Why can't we put the protein from this chicken breast into that muffin?” This was the birth of Lenny and Larry's.
Highlights from Barry Turner's interview
- [4:23] Why being an entrepreneur is awesome.
- [5:50] There's no time limit on success as long as you keep moving forward.
- [9:33] The giant spotlight moment when 2 bodybuilders became entrepreneurs.
- [17:30] How to find business ideas (and how business ideas find you).
- [20:43] Why you can't chase trends if you want your brand to last.
They didn't have a business plan or any experience, but that didn't stop Barry or his partner. They launched the company with only $1,400 doing almost everything themselves to get rolling — right down to designing their iconic logo. Gold's Gym was its first client.
Today, Lenny and Larry's products are available almost anywhere you can buy food — from Walmart to Whole Foods, and Target to Publix.
The effect of Lenny and Larry's products have rippled across the natural foods space. Protein-infused snacks are everywhere as consumers are beginning to understand the importance of high-quality protein to their overall health and nutrition.
In this conversation, we discuss:
- Finding an idea and taking immediate action
- Enjoying the chaos around you
- Why it's better to show someone than to tell them
Now, let's hack…
Resources and links from the show
LinkedIn Marketing Solutions: Every day, over 500 million professionals engage with content on LinkedIn, and chances are, your future customers are among them!
To redeem a free $100 LinkedIn ad credit, go to LinkedIn.com/HACK.