From 1999 until 2014, he was the producer of the public radio show This American Life. He was also the co-creator and co-host of Planet Money, one of my favorite podcasts of all time.
In 2014, Alex made the crazy decision to leave public radio and start a podcast company — Gimlet Media and their first podcast Startup. Later that year, Gimlet received $1.5 million in seed funding and went on to become a runaway podcasting success.
In 2015, Gimlet received another round of funding, their Series A at an additional $6 million.
Now, let’s hack…
In this 35-minute episode Alex Blumberg and I discuss:
- Why it is essential to remove the unnecessary elements from the story
- The story behind Alex’s ‘crazy’ decision to leave public media
- The true value of putting constraints on your work
- Doing work that matters to avoid facing ‘the me that could’ve been’
The Show Notes
- Gimlet Media
- Sampler Podcast
- Suprisingly Awesome Podcast
- Reply All Podcast
- Startup Podcast
- Mystery Show Podcast
- Science Vs Podcast
- Gimlet Media 0n Twitter
- Alex on Twitter
- Jon on Twitter
- Hack The Entrepreneur: The Book
- Show Sponsor: Fizzle.co – Get five weeks free training at Fizzle.co/hack